Tweener looks at some of the matches in the first round of the Mens and Ladies singles and has match bets in addition to first set winner selections.
Mens Singles Round 1:
Giles Muller v JW Tsonga
2 points win Giles Muller to win first set at 5/4 with Bet365 and Coral
1 point win Giles Muller to win match at 6/4 with Bet365 and Coral
- Two big servers and it should be a tie break set, BUT Tsonga has not played a single match since the French Open and I believe he will be most vulnerable early on. If Muller sneaks a break early on, it will be game over for Tsonga.
- The h2h stands at 1 each. Muller has the game to make Tsonga uncomfortable.
- Muller has been in good form, lost to Murray at Queens and semis of his previous event to Goffin.
- Tsonga should be rusty and will take a while to get going. He struggles to return at the best of times and facing one of the best serves in the game, he should struggle.
- Given a tie break is likely, it might be decided by a few points here and there.
- Tsonga is much better player from the back of the court.
- A slow start from Muller will end the main bet quickly.
In the rest of the men's singles matches there are a number of interesting first set winner bets. These include Berrer, Klein, Ward, Kohlschreiber. Another bet that appeals is the Under 27.5 games in the Andy Murray match as he really should have very few problems against Kukushkin and the 19/20 with 888 Sport is very fair indeed.
Ladies Singles Round 1:
Lucie Safarova v Alison Riske
- Riske has a very good record on grass. Her flat hitting suits grass perfectly. Although she has not set the world alight this year, she has been playing well on grass. Crucially, she has had a lot more matches under her belt on this surface compared to Safarova.
- Safarova should be rusty given her lack of matches.
- Safarova on her A game will beat Riske since she will just overpower her.
- 1-0 h2h, but Riske is a better player on grass.
Maria Sharapova v Johanna Konta
3 points win - Over games 19.5 games at 11/10 with Paddy Power
2 points win Konta to win first set at 4/1 with Boylesports and BetVictor
1 point win Konta win match at 7-1 with Betfair Sports
- Konta has been terrific in the past few weeks and she has overcome her injury scare which did sound minor. She should give Sharapvoa something to think about.
- This will be Sharapova 1st grass match of the season, which is a little strange given she was knocked out in the 4th round at Roland Garros. Therefore it should take her a little time to adapt to this surface.
- Sharapova's 2nd serve remains a huge liability which coughs up DF at crucial times.
- Konta form has been terrific, she has lost to the finalist or the winner of the tournament in the last 3 weeks.
- Sharapova is the better player if she is on her game.
- Konta needs to be 100%. but she was at the Taylor Swift concert just now so she can’t be in that bad shape!!!
- She needs good quick start and backing over games normally needs both players to 'turn up’, but I believe Konta will make it very hard for Sharapova.