Roy The Boy looks at the World Snooker Championship and he really likes Mark Selby at 5/1 with Coral.
The World Snooker Championship officially begins on Saturday when defending champion Mark Selby cue’s off against Fergal O’Brien in the first of 16 opening round matches.
Here’s the form figures (latest listed first) of the 8 top ranked players in ‘ranking tournaments’ this season.
- Mark Selby (1) W-QF-3R-3R-1R-2R-W-W-2R-SF-F-W-2R-1R
- Judd Trump (2) SF-1R-QF-1R-QF-W-F-F-2R-SF-2R-SF-F-W-2R-2R-QF
- Stuart Bingham (3) 3R-1R-1R-W-1R-1R-SF-1R-2R-SF-SF-SF-2R-2R-3R-3R
- Ding Junhui (4) QF-SF-2R-1R-2R-3R-1R-F-3R-W-2R
- Shaun Murphy (5) QF-1R-W-2R-QF-2R-SF-1R-QF-2R-1R-1R-QF-SF
- John Higgins (6) 3R-1R-2R-1R-1R-F-QF-4R-QF-QF-QF-2R-QF-3R
- Barry Hawkins (7) 1R-4R-2R-QF-W-QF-4R-2R-F-SF-2R-2R-3R
- Marco Fu (8) F-2-SF-1R-W-SF-2R-2R-2R-1R-1R-1R-2R-1R
Corals’ are going top-priced 5/1 about Mark Selby which looks outstanding. The ‘Jester from Leicester’ is in fine form winning four of the 14 ranking events he has played this year. Most importantly he won the China Open just two weeks ago which cannot have done his confidence any harm.
But it is Jud Trump who heads the bookmaker’s lists. His 5-3 defeat by Hossein Vafaei in the quarter finals of the China Open hardly inspires confidence but Trump did land last month’s Player’s Championship (against a select field of just 16 players) and he also won October’s European Masters beating Ronnie O’Sullivan 9-8 in the final.
However, given Trumps seven visits to the Crucible have yielded just one final table appearance and Selby has claimed two World Titles and an additional runner-up spot, you would surely make Selby favourite on all known form if they met tomorrow on the biggest stage the sport has to offer.
Maximum Stakes on no Maximum?
Elsewhere Betfair’s 5/6 about there not being a maximum 147 break during the competition looks outstanding. There has only been one in the past seven years and that was produced by Stephen Hendry during his final year as a professional in
There is a definite ‘lay to back’ angle that could be employed here but generally speaking
Mark Selby to win the World Snooker Championships 5/1 Coral