Tweener previews the 2nd round Ladies Singles match between Angelique Kerber and Alexandra Dulgheru and looks ahead to the 3rd round clash between Margarita Gasparyan and Yulita Putintseva.
Angelique Kerber v Alexandra Dulgheru
2 points Kerber -6.5 games at 5/6 with Stan James
- We went against Dulgheru in the 1st round with no success, but I have no doubt she would have lost if she had played someone capable of putting the ball in court. Kerber will certainly do that and some more. Main reason for this bet is Dulgheru has no weapon to hurt Kerber and as long as Kerber remains solid, which she invariably is, she will win this and cover the handicap.
- They have played twice before and Dulgheru lost one by 8 games and the other 9 games. The reason for this handicap as it is because Kerber nearly lost in her last match, but she played Doi who was stunning.
- Dulgheru does not hit the ball as flat, nor does she take the ball as early as the Japanese player. As long as Kerber stays solid, we should win this bet.
Margarita Gasparyan and Yulita Putintseva
2 points win Gasparayan at 8/11 with Boylesports. 4/6 with BetVictor, Bet365, Ladbrokes
- Gasparayan is a name to watch out for and she should have no problem dispatching Putintseva. This match up is all about Gasparayan; she has more weapons and bigger firepower off both wings, whereas Putintseva is a runner who gets lots of balls back.
- Commentators will talk about the one handed backhand from Gasparayan, but none of them are ugly??? When the aggressive player is on form, they normally win these match ups, and as we get towards latter stage of the tournament, this mantra will get stronger.
- Gasparayan has already beaten Errani in the 1st round, who is a better version of Putintseva. I expect Gasparayan to have too game for the Putintseva. They have played once before, Gasparayan won 2 and 3. Only way I can see Putintseva win is, she gets between Gasparyan's head and annoys her.